Wednesday, October 30, 2002

De Ma Fenetre

I'm thinking of some great books I read in French classes over the years. Of course, I went kicking and screaming into each book and was pounding pencil, paper and cranium together to come up with something resembling a book report for most of them. After all was said and done, I'm really glad those profs dragged me through the exercise.

Colette's book De Ma Fenetre (1944), her diary, simply looking out the window of her apartment in Palais Royale during the war, was a favorite. It's probably one of her least well known books, with Gigi and the Claudine books being the better known. And also Daudet's Lettres de mon Moulin or in English. Both books are rather blog-like

Other French books I've loved, Memoires D'Hadrien by Marguerite Yourcenar who I had the chance to meet in Boston once actually. She was so cool.