Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Summer Love


I am really in love with this summer. I bought fruit today -- cherries, plums, apricots, bananas, peaches, cantaloupe. I love the lushness of the fruit, the colors of the skins, I like picking off the little stickers as I wash and fondle each piece. The sun on my skin is welcome, I'm not fretting about sunblock this year, rather unlike me. My skin is getting the blush of those cherries. I bought a lipstick last week called Watermelon. Going native, hair getting streaky blonde and dry, sand between toes, a wisp of bright green seaweed dries on the back of my calf, I'm flip-flopping as I walk.

Spending long afternoons with my kid and his friends, I walk about in my one-piece bathing suit for hours on end, it rides up a bit on my bottom, but I could care less. More serious considerations to attend to -- sandcastles to build, popsicles to lick, lemonade stands to staff at the end of the driveway. We argue over pricing -- 25 cents I say -- these modern kids look at me like I'm nuts and say $1.00.