Sunday, April 07, 2002

Top Ten Reasons To Witness Your Dad's Demise


[My dad has been gravely ill for four months. My family and I have been through a roller coaster of ups and downs, as his health has improved, only to crash again and again. I've spent a lot of time in nursing homes, hospitals, ambulances. I can't help but think God's got some reason for showing me these dark and sometimes bright moments. I like God. He's a good guy, really. So, here's my attempt to see the good in these bad times.]


1. It lets you say a long, slow "I love you" and "good-bye."


2. It reminds you that it really is "ashes to ashes, dust to dust."


3. It lets you see tons of sick people and that makes you hit the gym big time.


4. It gives you a kick in the pants to make a will and especially a "living will".


5. It gives you a grip on what the hell matters and what doesn't.


6. If you're an entrepreneur/se, you realize the aging population and it's not-yet-invented but desperately needed products will be a goldmine of opportunity.


7. You get to see your own genetic "wheel of fortune" played out.


8. Sure helps you think of your retirement savings in a brand new way.


9. Makes you brush and floss your teeth and pray you'll have some at 80.


10. Opens your heart to all the dreadful shit everyone else in the world is going through.