Tuesday, March 12, 2002

Bombast Gonzo, Nowhere To Be Found


Another saga about why there's no reason on earth to go into a real live bookstore.

I go over to Barnes & Noble in Burlington today after lunch with a friend. I want to finally get a copy of Bombast Transcripts, I find about 5 other books I want to buy, but can't find it anywhere. I spend a good 15 minutes looking. I finally go ask the perky girl behind the info counter.

"Oh we have lots of those," she said, all excited.

I'm thinking, "Where, holding up the foundation of the frigging building?" I can't find any!

"In Current Events," she says, perplexed, yes, even she doesn't quite get it. I go upstairs again, and way far away from Business/Marketing/Internet (any likely categories) I find Current Events.

Okay, Rageboy, explain it to me ... you're next to the "TRUE CRIME" section and opposite "VIETNAM".

Man, if you were a Rock and Roll band this would be like putting you in the Polkas section or something. Needless to say, I did a little "rearranging", planting a few copies next to Cluetrain, a few in the Internet section. These stores honestly believe they are in the business of selling books!