Tuesday, February 05, 2002

Tomorrow's My Birthday


Shared by some luminaries like Ronald Reagan, Bob Marley, Tom Brokaw, Babe Ruth, Natalie Cole, Francois Truffaut (a favorite of mine).

David Weinberger sent a query out a few weeks back from a professor asking what was your favorite scene in a movie. My favorite scene is in a Truffaut movie, Stolen Kisses, Baisers Voles, when the hero (played by Jean-Pierre Leaud) stands looking in the mirror, just repeating his name over and over and over, "Antoine Doinelle, Antoine Doinel, Antoine Doinel," until it's an existential tongue-twister and mantra of complete mystery, i.e., posing the questions, Who the hell am I? What the hell am I doing here? What is life? (BTW, I could be dead wrong about which movie this scene is in. Truffaut made 4 films with Jean-Pierre Leaud playing Antoine Doinel. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

So for those of you who are quick to say mean things about the French, give them credit for their seriously primal existential angoisse, I won't say ANGST, that's way too German. And they've made some great films too.