Monday, March 07, 2005

TEN NEW VOICES

I think the best thing to come out of the Harvard Media Center Neiman Conference last week was Rebecca MacKinnon's commenter who took us all to task for not promoting enough diverse talent in the blogosphere.

In other words, we have a circle of bloggers we refer to and we link to and this can put them on the map and it's all too often -- white, male, American bloggers -- who get our attention.

So I'm throwing down a month-long challenge in March, to promote TEN NEW VOICES. I'm asking all the bloggers in the room at Harvard (Jay Rosen, Jeff Jarvis, David Weinberger, Rebecca MacKinnon, Susan Mernit, Shayne Bowman, Ana Marie Cox, Lisa Stone, Chris Willis, Craig Newmark, Bill Gannon) to find TEN NEW VOICES and promote them by writing a post about each as an introduction and blogrolling them.

Here are the rules:

1. They can't be male if they are white;

2. You must have five women and five men;

3. You must have at least three non-Americans.

If I missed anything, please let me know. Ironically, I think the toughest criterion to meet here will be NON-AMERICANS. We bloggers are very provincial in this respect.