Monday, April 18, 2011

New Day New Week New Season

Spring is all about fresh -- fresh starts, fresh air, fresh feelings. It was Palm Sunday yesterday, Passover begins tonight, Easter Sunday next weekend. Even the weather has been fighting a brave battle -- talk about FRESH -- nearly 30's on Saturday with rain and wind, brrrrr! But 60's today and sunny as these bright yellow daffodils.

Oh yes, another "fresh" seasonal phenomenon -- young men can act rather fresh in spring when they are finally feeling free to be out and about and they can get a little amorous ... what's that old quote, about a young man's fancy ...

Comrades, leave me here a little, while as yet 't is early morn:
Leave me here, and when you want me, sound upon the bugle-horn.

'T is the place, and all around it, as of old, the curlews call,
Dreary gleams about the moorland flying over Locksley Hall;

Locksley Hall, that in the distance overlooks the sandy tracts,
And the hollow ocean-ridges roaring into cataracts.

Many a night from yonder ivied casement, ere I went to rest,
Did I look on great Orion sloping slowly to the West.

Many a night I saw the Pleiads, rising thro' the mellow shade,
Glitter like a swarm of fire-flies tangled in a silver braid.

Here about the beach I wander'd, nourishing a youth sublime
With the fairy tales of science, and the long result of Time;

When the centuries behind me like a fruitful land reposed;
When I clung to all the present for the promise that it closed:

When I dipt into the future far as human eye could see;
Saw the Vision of the world and all the wonder that would be.--

In the Spring a fuller crimson comes upon the robin's breast;
In the Spring the wanton lapwing gets himself another crest;

In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove;
In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.

(continues ... )


-- Locksley Hall by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.



* Picture Credit: Theresa Thompson on Flickr