Saturday, January 21, 2006

There's a light ...

There's a light over my kitchen sink which I thought was broken. I'd flip the switch and nothing happened, so I'd flip it back off just as fast as it seemed to be broken. I was too busy to be bothered with the silly thing.

Then one day I flipped it on and waited ... and waited. After quite a while, it turned on. It was a flourescent bulb that took a long, long time to turn on. I mean, a long, long time.

And I was thinking about it the other day, that there's something about me that's finally patient enough to wait for that light to turn on. I've had the same kitchen, same bulb for 3 years and I've only calmed down enough now to realize if I could wait long enough, the light would go on.

I guess maybe there's something good about getting older. You learn patience and it's a very good thing to know.