Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Jesus Really Annoyed People

Yesterday at church, my minister, Judy Brain and I had a most interesting conversation about how Jesus really annoyed people by going his own way, being his own man, being singularly unimpressed by convention, heirarchy, "the powers that be" and instead walked his own path, embraced his own joys, embodied his own witnessing of the true power of love and compassion.

In my life, I find pursuing my own goals, my own joys and being enormously alive to all of life's possibilities can seem extremely irksome to people who would rather have me live a half-dead zombie life like they do. To these well-meaning folks who would have me be someone they've decided I should be and not myself, I suggest they hold their breath and wait for me to change.