Thursday, June 09, 2005

Holy Shit: Wil Wheaton Rocks!

Wil Wheaton, who is just the best blogger of them all, has written the last word on how a lot of us feel about blogging sinking to a new low, and trying to haul it back up on the beach and give it CPR.

Blogging CPR starts with telling the truth at all costs.

This is just a small piece of an incredible post.

As my blog has grown out of my control in the last year, and taken on a life of its own, I have self-censored several times. Mostly, it's when I want to rage about what a colossal fucking liar George W. Bush is, what a disgrace he is to my country, and how the mainstream corporate media have completely failed to hold him and his administration accountable for countless lies. I'm a passionate person, and I'm passionate about politics. I'm going to write about it, and I'm not going to pull any punches. It won't be my primary focus, and I will never be as great a political blog as The Moderate Voice, Josh Marshall or Atrios, but I've turned away from political posts for too long.

If the world were a bar, America would currently be the angry drunk waving around a loaded gun. Yeah, the other people in the bar may be afraid of him, but they sure as hell don't respect him. And as soon as he drops that gun, he's going to get his ass handed to him. I'd rather my country be respected than feared, and I'm going to do whatever I can, however small, to make that happen.
Thanks to my friend Kevin for the link and also for telling me my blog was getting stale too and that this piece was the first thing in a long time that actually sounded fresh, sounded real and sounded like me.