Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Getting Hip to Hip-Hop

I've been having some pretty mind-blowing conversations with Eric Norlin about Hip-Hop. He's really hip to it and how it works. And how it's so much like blogging in many ways.

You might hate Hip-Hop. You might love it, like I do. But either way, you better take it seriously and better understand it because it's an American art form like Jazz that will be unique and change the world and matters a lot.

Read this ... and tell me, does it remind you of a blog by any chance?

It's funny
I remember back one year when daddy had no money
Mommy wrapped the Christmas presents up
And stuck 'em under the tree and said some of 'em were from me
Cuz daddy couldn't buy 'em
I'll never forget that Christmas I sat up the whole night crying
Cuz daddy felt like a bum, see daddy had a job
But his job was to keep the food on the table for you and mom

And at the time every house that we lived in
Either kept getting broken into and robbed
Or shot up on the block and your mom was saving money for you in a jar
Tring to start a piggy bank for you so you could go to college
Almost had a thousand dollars till someone broke in and stole it
And I know it hurt so bad it broke your momma's heart
And it seemed like everything was just startin' to fall apart

Mom and dad was arguin' a lot so momma moved back
On the Chalmers in the flat one bedroom apartment
And dad moved back to the other side of 8 Mile on Novara
And that's when daddy went to California with his CD and met Dr. Dre
And flew you and momma out to see me
But daddy had to work, you and momma had to leave me
Then you started seeing daddy on the T.V. and momma didn't like it
And you and Laney were to young to understand that
Papa was a rollin' stone, momma developed a habit
And it all happened too fast for either one of us to grab it