Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Traveling Wilburys

The other day I was sitting in my car when this Traveling Wilburys song came on. I was early to a meeting with a pretty intimidating cast of characters -- I get scared of some of these heavy hitters, believe you me -- and this song came on -- and it sure put it in perspective:

Well it's all right, even if they say you're wrong
Well it's all right, sometimes you gotta be strong
Well it's all right, as long as you got somewhere to lay
Well it's all right, every day is just one day
Maybe somewhere down the road a ways, at the end of the line
You'll think of me and wonder where I am these days, at the end of the line
Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays, at the end of the line
Purple haze

Anyway, I started thinking about the fact that of the group, both Roy Orbison and George Harrison are gone now and they were two of my favorites and they sure knew how to live and they sure knew how to die, and no meeting, no matter how intimidating the people might be, was much to worry about.

And I wonder if they knew when they sang that great song ... maybe somewhere down the road a ways ... you'll think of me and wonder where I am these days ... if they knew they'd be gone so damned soon. It's just about the only thing any of us can count on -- that we're heading out. Did you tell the people you love how much you love them today?