Saturday, August 02, 2003

Work It Out Past Injury

This was the first day in weeks I worked out to my old standard routine -- a videotape with aerobics and weight lifting -- since I hurt my foot on July 10th. I can't decide if I miss working out more physically or emotionally. Both are so important.

And it was a dreadfully difficult workout -- since I still can't quite put any weight on my left foot -- so it's slow going. I guess the only good news is, this will prove a great season for my upper-body work and abs work and some of my butt moves. Most of those exercises don't require me to put weight (or much weight) on my foot. Also thank god for Yoga which I've been doing throughout the interim. It's helping me stay balanced, which is hard with a lame foot -- again both balanced emotionally and physically.

It got me thinking about how professional atheletes must have a heck of a time working out despite their injuries. And they have to do it -- they really have no choice I'll bet. I'm going to go research that on the Web. It's a big psychological issue -- because you get so downcast and depressed when you want your body to be there for you and it simply is NOT. I find it so frustrating.