Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Working Out/ Working Back Up

I was sick for more than two weeks and haven't been exercising. Working out these past few days has been so tough. Working back up to the level of fitness I was hitting before getting this cough and cold is so difficult. But that's the thing -- it's about working back up to it. I want to be right where I was and can't seem to get my head around the fact that I've lost a lot of wellness and fitness.

I had an interesting conversation with my sister about this. In so many areas of life, if you fall off the wagon, getting back into the groove is so hard. It's really an important thing to be aware of. Realize you will have trouble coming back. Realize you have to deal with it. Realize that things DO change and vary and nothing is fixed -- it's all static. Your level of fitness or expertise or ability falls off -- things change -- but it's just that very fact that means you can CHANGE from less fit to more fit, or less rich to more rich, or less patient to more patient.

I see it all the time in business and over the years it's begun to hit me that the most successful people are the ones that fall on their faces a lot AND GET BACK UP FAST. That key time of recovery makes you or breaks you. That painful moment where you face the facts -- I'm out of shape, I'm out of money, I'm out of gas, whatever -- and then face the problem head on and do something about it, that's what separates winner from loser. Open up that messy closet, rip it apart and clean it up. Even just one small corner of it. Get down on the floor and start doing those push-ups again -- even if you can only do three or four. Pull out those bills from that crammed drawer. Pay one. Just one, but pay it now.